FAQ Backup & Restore
Why do I need to back up my Podio data?
There are 2 good reasons why you should consider backing up your Podio data:
- In Podio, if you delete an item, an app or a workspace the action is not reversible . This means that you could lose critical company data such as leads, projects or client details. Months, or even years, of work could be lost in just a few seconds. All it takes is one moment of distraction, one miscommunication or one disgruntled employee.
- We believe that Podio already does a very good job at keeping your data accessible. However, in the unlikely event that their servers were to go offline, you could lose access to your data and possibly do serious harm to your business. Keeping your Podo data available in a seperate and independent location ensures the continuity of your business.
What kind of data is included in the backup?
We back up the following data from Podio:
- Comments on items and workspace stream
- Tasks linked to an item, app or a workspace
- Files linked to items, tasks or a workspace
- App Templates
- Globiflow workflows
The following data will not be backed up: Reports, revisions, widgets and workspace contacts.
How safe is my data?
The backups and the Podio access tokens are secured with the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) using 256-bit encryption key. Applying the best practices of Encryption methods, we use a different initialization vector for every record, meaning it is virtually impossible to extract the data via reversed engineering. All the data is stored in Amazon Cloud (Dublin, Ireland). The backup happens over a secure connection (SSL) between Podio and our server.
Where is my backup stored?
We store your backup on 2 different locations:
- Our Amazon Cloud servers: We store a complete version of your Podio data (including comments, tasks, app templates) and relevant metadata on our Amazon Cloud servers. This is the data that is used for when an item is being restored via our interface.
- Google Drive: To make your Podio Backup accessible for you, we perform a daily & incremental sync to a secured Google Drive folder within our G Suite account. We sync the following data to this folder: Items, attachments (+metafile), comments and tasks.
Who can access the secured Google Drive folder?
Your secured Google folder is created within our G Suite account. This means that you don't have to pay for the storage used and we can ensure a successful connection on our end. That's why the Google Drive folder can only be accessed by the backup manager of your organization and as well as our G Suite support account. The backup manager must have a Google account and only has the right to view the data. This way we can ensure that the folder is password protected and that no data will be removed.
It is important to note that:
- Google does not collect, scan, or use your data in G Suite services (source)
- Google does not own your Podio data and Google does not sell that data to third parties (source)
What are the technical restrictions using Google Sheets?
There are 3 important restrictions when using Google Sheets:
- A new Google sheet will be created when the app template is changed (i.e. adding or removing a field, changing a label or field setting). The previous version of the Google Sheet will be moved to the Archive folder.
- A Google Sheet cannot have more than 2M cells (i.e. app fields * items)
- Items: When a Google sheet exceeds the limit of 1.5M cells, a new Google sheet is created with fewer app fields (i.e. Columns). The previous version of the Google Sheet will be moved to the Archive folder. In this case you will still see all items, but not all app fields will be shown in the Google Sheet (we always backup all fields on our Amazon cloud servers)
- Comments, tasks and files: When a Google sheet exceeds the limit of 1.5M cells, a new Google sheet is created with the new and/or updated records. The previous version of the Google Sheet will be moved to the Archive folder.
- A cell in a Google Sheet cannot contain more than 45.000 (we limit this to 2.000) characters. When a cell reaches this limit, we will only sync the first 2.000 characters of that cell.
Can I back up all workspaces of my organization?
We will only back up the workspaces where you are present as an admin. If a new workspace is created, you must be invited to this new workspace as an admin to add it to your Podio backup.
How long does Momentum keep my Podio backups?
We keep all of your data from the moment that you sign up. If you want us to clean up your old data, create a support ticket.
What happens when I restore a deleted item?
When you restore an item, it will be restored with all its related comments, tasks & files.
- The comments will be displayed with the name of the original poster and with its original timestamp.
- The restored item will have a new item ID; the original item ID is added as an external ID.
- Outgoing relationships will be automatically restored.
- Incoming relationships (i.e. Other items refer to the deleted item) will not be automatically restored, but can be done on your request.
Can I see who has deleted an item in Podio?
Unfortunately not. Podio does not allow us to track who has deleted an item in Podio.
Can I restore a deleted app or workspace?
Restoring an app or a workspace is not possible via our interface. If you need to restore an app or a workspace, create a support ticket.
Can I restore an app to another workspace or organization?
No. We do not support the cloning/restoring of apps or workspaces to different workspaces or organizations.
How can I restore Globiflow workflows?
On the Globiflow backup page you can download a ZIP file for each of your workspaces. If need to extract this ZIP file to get the workflows in readable XML format. These XML files can be imported into Globiflow via its bulk import function.
Did you not find the answer you were looking for? Click here to create a support ticket.