FAQ Backup & Restore
- Why do need to backup my Podio data?
- What kind of data is included in the backup?
- How safe is my data?
- Where is my backup stored?
- Who can access the secured Google Drive folder?
- What is the folder 'Backup Archive' used for?
- Why are some of the Google Drive folders empty?
- Why are some columns missing in my Google Sheet?
- Can I back up all workspaces of my organization?
- How long does Momentum keep my backed up?
- What happens when I restore a deleted item?
- Can I restore a deleted app or workspace?
- Can I restore an app to another workspace or organization?
- Do you have a referral program?
Why do I need to back up my Podio data?
There are 2 good reasons why you should consider backing up your Podio data:
- We believe that Podio already does a very good job at keeping your data accessible. However, in the unlikely event that their servers were to go offline, you could lose access to your data and possible do serious harm to your business. Keeping your Podo data available in a seperate and independent location ensures the continuity of your business .
- In Podio, if you delete an item, an app or a workspace the action is not reversible . This means that you could lose critical company data such as leads, projects or client details. Months, or even years, of work could be lost in just a few seconds. All it takes is one moment of distraction, one miscommunication or one disgruntled employee.
What kind of data is included in the backup?
We back up the following data from Podio:
- Comments on items and workspaces
- Tasks linked to an item or a workspace
- App Tempates
- Globiflow workflows
The following data will not be backed up: Reports, revisions, widgets and workspace contacts.
How safe is my data?
The backups and the Podio access tokens are secured with the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) using 256-bit encryption key. Applying the best practices of Encryption methods, we use a different initialization vector for every record, meaning it is virtually impossible to extract the data via reversed engineering. All the data is stored in Amazon Cloud (Dublin, Ireland). The backup happens over a secure connection (SSL) between Podio and our server.
Where is my backup stored?
We store your backup on 2 different locations:
- Our Amazon Cloud servers: We store a complete version of your Podio data (including comments, tasks, app templates) and metadata on our Amazon Cloud servers. This is the data that will be used for when an item is being restored via our interface.
- Google Drive: To make your Podio Backup accessible for you, we perform a daily & incremental sync to a secured Google Drive folder. We sync the following data to this folder: Items, attachments (+metafile), comments and tasks.
Important: We can only back up your files and attachments, if the google sync is active. If you deactivate the google sync for an organization, then we are no longer able to back up your files and attachments.
Who can access the secured Google Drive folder?
The Google Drive folder can only be accessed by the backup manager and our admin user. Please note that the backup manager must have a Google account and only has the right to view the data. This way we can ensure that the folder is password protected and that no data will be removed.
What is the folder 'Backup Archive' used for?
- Every time you edit an app template, we will create a new Google Sheet document for that Podio app. The previous version of the Google Sheet document will then be moved to the Archive folder.
- When a sheet exceeds the limit of 1.500.000 cells (see next question), we will move the Google Sheet to the archive folder.
Why are some of the Google Drive folders empty?
On your request we can give other accounts view-only permission to your Google Drive folder. However it takes 1-2 days for Google to update the roles and permissions of the underlying folders and documents. That is why you might see an empty folder when you've just received the view-only permission, even thought the data is there.
Why are some columns missing in my Google Sheet?
This is because of a technical restriction of Google Sheets. A Google Sheet document can note have more than 2 million cells. For stabillity reasons we take 1.5million as a safe limit. Each item sheet has 4 columns with meta data (app item id, item id, created on, deleted). For this reason, Podio apps with more than 375K items will not be created.
- For item sheets, when the sheet reaches 2M cells (because of extra rows being appended after 1.5M) we move the current sheet to the archive folder. Then a new Google Sheet will be created with a reduced number of app fields (i.e. columns) so that we don't exceed the limit. In this case you will still see all items, but not all columns will be synced to the Google Sheet.
- For comments, tasks and file sheets we move all records to the archive folder. A new Google Sheet will be created which will contain all the new and/or updated records.
- A cell in a Google Sheet document cannot contain more than 45.000 (we limit this to 2.000) characters. When a cell reaches this limit, we will only sync the first 2.000 characters of that cell.
Can I back up all workspaces of my organization?
We can only back up the workspaces of which you are either a regular member or an admin. If a new workspace is created, you must be invited to this workspace in order for us to then automatically add this workspace to your backup. Please note that because of webhook restrictions, we are not able to back up task updates if you are a non-admin user. That's why we advice you to ensure you have admin rights in every workspace that you want to back up.
How long does Momentum keep my Podio backups?
We keep all of your data from the moment that you sign up. If you want us to clean up your old data, please contact us on email@example.com.
What happens when I restore a deleted item?
When you restore an item, it will be restored with all its related comments, tasks & files. The comments will be visible with the name of the original poster and with its original timestamp. Unfortunately we cannot restore an item with its original item ID, but we add the original item ID number as an external ID.
Can I restore a deleted app or workspace?
Restoring an app or a workspace is not possible via our interface. If you want need to restore an app or a workspace, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with clear instructions. Our team will help you as soon as possible (usually less than 1 working day).
Can I restore an app to another workspace or organization?
No. We do not support the cloning/restoring of apps or workspaces to different workspaces or organizations.
Do you have a referral program?
Yes we do! Click on the link below to learn more about our referral program.